female heads of state are not that common in africa where most women in politics are been downgraded due to gender.
However on 19th march 2021 , a new female head of state took office in Tanzania after the death of its former president john magufuli.
Samia Suluhu Hassan ascendance as president of tanzania, further increase the rare number of female to head a country in the african continent.
Prior to samia ascendancy , only nine women has rose to that big occasion in the history of africa politics.
Full list Of Africa’s female heads of state
On this short list, both previous and current female heads of state are accounted for which includes :-
– Sylvie Kinigi : she was appointed as caretaker president of burundi following the killing of Melchior Ndadaye ( 1993-1994).
– Ruth Perry : she assumed the post of, chair of council of state after liberia first civil war ( 1996-1997).
– Ellen Johnson Sirleaf : elected president of liberia. her tenure lasted for twelve years ( 2006 – 2018 ).
– Rose Francine Rogombé : interim President of Gabon following the death of Omar Bongo ( 2009).
– Monique Ohsan Bellepeau : elected as the acting president of mauritius, after the resignation of sir Anerood Jugnanth (2012).
– Joyce Banda : she was elected as the president of malawi , after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika ( 2012-2014 ).
– Catherine Samba Panza : catherine was a transitional president of central african republic. She was elected by Parliament ( 2014-2016 ).
– Ameenah Gurib Fakim : elected by the Parliament as president of mauritius ( 2015-2018).
– Sahle Work Zewde : elected by the Parliament as president of ethiopia ( 2018- present ).
– Samia Suluhu Hassan : became president of tanzania , after the demise of john magufuli ( 2021- present ).
Women who are into politics or aspire to be a politician in africa, will see this big occasion as a step forward, inspiration and also be determined that more female head of state can still come out of africa.