Marketing of Mineral products
Mineral means a non – living substance that is formed by natural processes and is found on or under the surface of the ground.
Mineral products means a product that is derived from a mineral or group of minerals.
The salt that we add to our food is the mineral halite. Antacid tablets are made from the mineral calcite .
It takes many mineral to make something as simple as a wooden pencil . The “lead” is made from graphite and clay minerals; the brass band is made of copper and zinc , and the paints that colors it contains pigments and fillers made from a variety of minerals . A cell phone is made using dozens of different minerals that were sourced from mines throughout the world.
ALSO READ : Marketing Planning, Process And Research
The cars that we drive , the roads that we travel , the building that we live , and the fertilizers used to produce our foods are all made using minerals. A lot of mineral commodities are consumed each year to support the standard of living of citizens .
Quick Guide in marketing of mineral products
The construction industry is the largest consumers of mineral commodities. Crushed stone is used for foundations, road base , concrete, and drainage. Sand and gravel are used in concrete and foundations. Clays are used to make cement , bricks and tile . Iron ore is used to make to make reinforcing rods , steel beams , nails and wire .
Gypsum is used to make drywall . Dimension stone is used for facing, curbing , flooring , stair treads , and other architectural work. These are just a few of the many uses for these commodities in construction.
In agriculture , phosphate rock and potash are used to make fertilizer. Lime is used as an acid-neutralizing soil treatment. Mineral nutrients are added to animal feeds .
The chemical industry uses large amounts of salt, lime and soda ash. Large amounts of metals , clay and mineral fillers/extenders are used in manufacturing.
Examples of mineral products
– Antimony: Antimony is a metal that is used along with alloys to create batteries for storing grid power . It is silvery gray and can be found in it’s pure form in nature , an uncommon characteristic.
– Barium : barium is common element used in x-ray texhn , fireworks , rubber and glass making and rat poison. It is a soft, white metallic element and alkaline.
– Bauxite : bauxite is a sedimentary rock that is an important ore of aluminum . The aluminum content in it is leeched from the soil above .
– Beryllium : beryllium is an alkaline metallic element that is highly toxic . It is known for its sugary sweet taste and some of its common uses are in x-rays and fluorescent lights.
– Chromite : Chromite is the ore of chromium and is a very hard metal, and diamond is the only thing harder. This hardness is what allows a chrome finish to take a high polish.
– Cobalt : cobalt is famous for the incredible blue colour it imparts to glass and pigment. It has been found in meteorites and is used in invisible ink. It is a brittle metal and resembles iron .
– Copper : copper is a common metal throughout the world. It is used for currency, jewelry , plumbing and to conduct electricity. It is a soft , orange – red metal.
– Gold : Fold is the most familiar metal to most people. It is used for jewelry, dentistry , electronics and host of other applications. It is the most malleable metal which increases the way it can be used.
– Lead : lead has a bad reputation for it’s poisoning capabilities, some of which may have been exaggerated by fear . It cannot be absorbed by the skin or breathing , but it is harmful if it touches food or drinks . It was at one time used in paint, pencils and eating utensils.
– Manganese : manganese with iron impurities can be slightly magnetic.it is essential in the steel making process, and petroglyphs were carved into it in the southwest.
– Mica : Mica is the mineral responsible for putting sparkle on many rocks. This mineral is very flexible , and large sheets of it were used as window glass in the past.
– Silver : silver is one of the precious metals . It is used as currency and in jewelry making. It is also used in medicine due to its anti microbial properties.
– Zinc : Zinc is essential for a healthy life. Since deficiency can cause rashes , diarrhea , impaired taste and eye problem . It is used to macular degeneration, diabetes and common cold. Zinc biological and scientific information .
Oil And Non-Oil Products
Oil products are products from the refinery of crude oil . The crude oil processed and refined into more useful oil products such as petroleum, naphtha , gasoline , diesel , fuel, asphalt base , kerosene, and liquefied petroleum gas .
Raw or unprocessed crude oil is not generally useful in industrial applications. Instead the hundreds of different hydrocarbon molecules in crude oil are separated in a refinery into components which can be used as fuels , lubricants ,and as feed stocks in petrochemical processes that manufacture such products as plastics , detergents, solvents, elastomers and fibers such as nylon and polyester .
Non oil are products that are not made from cruse oil. Such products are food products , plastic products and electronics products.
Methods in Marketing Of Mineral Products
Like other sectors of the mineral products business , the marketing and distribution of mineral products takes place on a vast , global scale .
Every day, hundreds of millions of companies and individuals buy these products at wholesale or directly from retail outlets that number in the hundreds of thousands worldwide. The Government plays a major role in marketing and distribution of mineral products means. They extract these products and make them available to both local and international buyers .
A comprehensive guide in marketing of mineral products.