Qualities of a clerk : a clerk is a person who files letters , keep records and does other jobs in the office.
In Nigeria , people who possess the west african school certificate can be employed as clerks and then trained on the job by going for courses at federal or state staff training schools
Personal Qualities Of A Clerk
As a clerk, there is need to possess some personal and job qualities which includes :-
* A sound educational background and a basic qualification which will help him/ her understand what is asked of them to do in the office .
If he does not understand English ,for example, he will not be able to answer questions or perform the duties given to him/her.
* As a clerk , you must have a very good appearance ,which means the he/ she has to be neatly dressed all the time .
If a clerk dresses badly ,it shows that the organisation is a careless one and people will not trust them.
That is why most bank clerks put on tie to appear responsible.
* Good health . If he is sick allt he time , the work in the office will not go smoothly , thereby delaying the work that has to be done .
* Another major quality a clerk must possess is the ability to answer questions properly and to listen to instructions.
If the clerk fails to listen hen someone is talking to him ,he will not be able to do the right thing.
* He must have the ability to improve his education in the future. Many new things happen in the office all the time so the clerk should be willing to receive more training on new machines for the betterment of the office.
* As a clerk , you must be polite to people’s you come in contact with during his job time. If he is rude to people ,they will have a very bad impression of the organisation and might not come again.
* A clerk must be able to communicate with other people either within or outside the organisation without problems so that they can understand him.
* He must have the ability to see what needs to be done and to start doing it without being told or forced to. This is what we call taking the initiative.
* A clerk must be clever , and good at learning new things.
Job Qualities Of A Good Clerical Staff
Been a clerk comes with bid responsibilities, starting from personal and job qualities.
Here are some vital job Qualities to possess as a clerk :-
* A clerk must always come to the office on time and must not leave the office to go about visiting his friends.
As a clerk you must not come to the office after his has come into the office, he must be there first.
* as a clerk , you must be able to control yourself and be pleasant even if a customer is been rude to you.
* Another major job Qualities of a clerk is not to involve him or herself in gossips , or tell the secret of the office to other people.
He must not discuss his boss with with other people.
* A clerk must carry out essential work that is done day – by – day without anybody having to tell him that he should do it
Examples are :- Filing letters , opening of mails , or sending mail to the post office. He should not wait until he is asked to do these jobs before he does them everyday.
* As a clerk you must keep your office clean and tidy all the time ,he should not allow pieces of paper to be on the floor ,they must be put in the waste paper basket .
* A clerk must talk softly in the office and must close doors gently without making much noise or banging the door after he goes out of the office.
* As a clerk , you must have some books that can refer to , such as a dictionary which can be use when , for example, when there is a problem with spelling or how to use a word in a sentence.
Some Duties Of A Clerical Staff
Some of the kinds of jobs a clerk may be asked to do are as follows :
* A clerk may be asked to open letters that come into the office and send the mail out to other offices in the organisation.
* As a clerk you may be asked to operate telephone and may even work on a switchboard as a telephone operator
* You may be asked to gather papers together and use a stapling machine or pins to put them together ( Collating ).
* a clerk may do some typing work from time to time .
* You may receive visitors to the office, ask them what they want or who they wish to see , and finally direct them to the person they wish to see.
* a clerk may also be asked to make tea for his boss or his superior officer’s once or twice a day or at any time they want want to take tea.
In summary , there are two types of qualities that a clerk should possess. They are personal Qualities which includes a sound general education, neat appearance and the ability to do clerical work. The other are the job Qualities and and the kind of job a clerk can do in the office.