Mdgs goals : The millennium development goals (MDG) are eight international development goals that were officially established following the millennium summit of the united nations in 2000.
Following the adoption of the united nations millennium declaration, all 193 united nations member states and at least 23 International organisations have agreed to achieve these goals.
mdgs 8 goals
The following 8 mdgs goals are as follows :-
* Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger.
* Achieving universal primary education.
* Promoting gender equality and empowering women.
* Reducing child mortality rates.
* Improving maternal health.
* Combating HIV/AIDS , malaria and other diseases.
* Ensuring environmental sustainability.
* Developing a global partnership for Development.
N:B , Each of the goals has specific stated targets and dates for achieving those goals.
To accelerate progress, the G8 – the group of 8 industrialised countries :-
i, The Russian federation.
v, United kingdom.
vi, Northern ireland.
vii, United States of America.
viii, Japan .
i.e. These countries finance ministers agreed in June 2005 to provide enough funds to the world bank, the international monetary fund (IMF) , the african development bank (AFDB) to cancel an additional $40 to $55 billion in debt owed by members of the heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC) to allow impoverished countries to re-channel the resources saved from the forgiven debt to social programmes for improving health and education and for alleviating poverty
Objectives of MDG.
* Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger between 1990 and 2015 , the proportion of people whose income is less than one dollar a day .
* Achieving universal primary education and to ensure that by 2015 , children everywhere ,boys and girls alike ,will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling.
* Promote gender equality and empower women. Eliminate gender disparty in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005 and to all levels of education not later than 2015.
* Reduce child mortality rates, reduce by two-thirds, between 1990 and 2015 the under -five mortality rate.
* Improve maternal health ,to reduce by three quarters between 1990 and 2015 , the maternal mortality rate.
* Combat HIV/AIDS , malaria and other diseases . Have halted by 2015 and begun to reserve and spread HIV/AIDS .
Again halve halted by 2015 , and begun to reserve the incidence of malaria and other major diseases.
* Ensure environmental sustainability to integrate the principle of sustainable development into countries Policies, programmes and reserve the lose of environmental resources.
By 2015 ,halve the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water. Also by 2020 to have achieved a significant improvement in the lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers.
* Develop a global partnership for Development. To deal comprehensively with the debt problems of developing countries through national and international measures in order o make debt sustainable in long term.
Secondly , in cooperation with the private sector , make available the benefits of new technologies , especially in formation and communication
Mdgs goals are remains a vital pillar , in making the world a better place for all ,as they keep lifting and touching lives.