As the long anticipated european super league was announced , some football legends , teams , players and coaches have kicked against it .
The new league is said to have more financial and other advantages over the famous Uefa champions league .
Here is how some kicked against the european super league
* Mesut_Ozil : “Kids grow up dreaming to win the World Cup and the Champions League – not any Super League.
“The enjoyment of big games is that they only happen once or twice a year, not every week. Really hard to understand for all football fans out there…”
* Arsene_Wenger : “I would say it’s a bad idea. Football has to stay united, it’s the most important thing.
“It’s based on sporting merit and to respect the history that has been built from European football.
“I believe, personally, that this idea will not go far.”
* Lukas_Podolski : “An insult to my belief: football is happiness, freedom, passion, fans and is for everyone.
“This project is disgusting, not fair and I’m disappointed to see clubs I represented involved. Fight against this!”
* Luis_Figo : “This greedy and callous move would spell disaster for our grassroots, for women’s football and the wider football community, only to serve self-interested owners who stopped caring about their fans long ago and have complete disregard for sporting merit. Tragic.”
* Ander Herrera : “If this European Super League advances, those dreams are over.”
Ander_Herrera has given a passionate criticism of the plans
* Borussia_Dortmund have released a statement confirming the club are against the Super League
* Bayern Munich ceo : CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke says Bayern_Munich “shared exactly the same stance throughout all discussions”
* Tottenham Hotspur : “The Club can today announce that Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff Joao Sacramento, Nuno Santos, Carlos Lalin and Giovanni Cerra have been relieved of their duties.”
Meanwhile Tottenham have confirmed 29-year-old Ryan Mason is taking first-team training today following Jose Mourinho’s dismissal
Tottenham president Daniel_Levy confirmed that “Jose and his coaching staff have been with us through some of our most challenging times as a Club.
“He will always be welcome here and we should like to thank him and his coaching staff for their contribution.”
Julian Naglesmann and Brendan #Rodgers lead the way as early favourites to replace Jose Mourinho.
* LaLiga and its clubs expect a firm and forceful reaction from UEFA to stop the Super League.
Spanish clubs are planning for a meeting on Thursday to discuss about Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atléti position after joining.
* SerieA clubs will meet today afternoon to talk about Super League situation – Juventus, Inter and AC Milan will not attend the meeting.
* Porto president Pinto da Costa against the Super League: “We can’t participate in anything that’s against the rules. We are in the Champions League and we hope to continue to be there for many years.
* Wayne_Rooney on European Super League : “I completely understand the frustration but I don’t know the full details. I don’t think many people do apart from the clubs. I don’t think it would be a great look to pull away from cup competitions but let’s see what the proposals are.”
“I can speak from being at Man Utd at such a long-time. The last thing they would want to do would be to jeopardise their relationship with the fans. They would want to keep them involved. Let’s see what the proposals are when they come out.”
* Hansi Flick : “I’m focused on different topics but I can say that the Super League wouldn’t be good for European football.”
* Toni Kroos : “These competitions European Super League, Nations League. try to absorb everything financially, and also to squeeze everything out of the players’ physically. I am a big fan of leaving things as they are when they are going well.” 🥺
“European Super League? We are just puppets of FIFA and UEFA. If there was a players’ union, we would not be playing the Nations League or Supercopa de Espana in Saudi Arabia.”
Board member at one of #English clubs joining Super League: “This isn’t a civil war, it’s a nuclear war. To be honest though the owners are not that worried about bad PR, they were expecting it.”
The 12 clubs that have signed a binding agreement to form the Super League have been guaranteed a “welcome bonus” worth €200m-€300m each.
Super League will commit 8% of revenue, minimum €400m a year, in ‘solidarity payments’ to European clubs, more than UEFA $240m. That assumes annual revenues of €5bn – UCL currently generates €3.2bn – that’s a big uplift for fewer matches & fewer teams.
ESL organisers have held early discussions with broadcasters about the competition, seeking to secure deals with likes of Amazon, Facebook, Disney and Sky that would raise annual revenues worth €4bn a year. This is roughly double the amount earned by UCL.
* Premier_League’s 14 remaining clubs to hold crisis talks on Tuesday to discuss their next move following announcement of breakaway European Super League by the ‘top six’. 👀
* Italian FA President: “Clubs that join SL are out of the FIFA”.
* UEFA President Ceferin: “We didn’t know we had snakes working close to us, but now we know.”
“I cannot stress more strongly at this moment that UEFA and the football world stand united against the disgraceful self-serving proposal by a few clubs motivated by greed and nothing else. We are all united against this nonsense of a project.”
“I have seen many things in my life. I have never seen people like that.
EdWoodward called me on Thursday to say he was very satisfied and supported the proposals.
He had already signed something else. Agnelli is the biggest disappointment of all.”
* Ceferin on Agnelli: “Agnelli – I don’t want to be too personal, but I have never seen a person who lied so many times as persistently as he did. I spoke to him on Saturday and he said these were only rumours, nothing going on. Then he turned off the phone.”
* Karl Heinz Rummenigge , chairman of Bayern Münich, is to join UEFA’s executive committee in place of Juve’s Agnelli who resigned after knifing UEFA by signing up to breakaway. Rummenigge’s presence a blow to those hoping to entice Bayern to ESL.
UEFA President Ceferin says UEFA is receiving legal advice to ban Super League clubs from Champions League and Europa League THIS season.
UEFA President Ceferin: “The new Champions League format will happen with or without them.
Čeferin is godfather to Agnelli’s daughter.
UEFA President Ceferin says FIFA President Gianni Infantino has told him that he will strongly condemn the Super League when he addresses the UEFA Congress tomorrow.
UEFA President Čeferin: “Things change. Juventus were in Serie B. Manchester United before Sir Alex Ferguson were I don’t know where. Aston Villa was a big club. Why are they creating this? Because they are not managed right.”
“I can’t understand how clubs can see their supporters protesting and not giving a damn. And they are already ultra rich, they are not poor. But they always want more and more. If you respect your fans, stop!”
“The greatest sport is based on open competition, integrity and sporting merit and we will never allow that to change. This idea is a spit in the face of all football lovers and our society as well. We must not let them take it away from us.”
UEFA President Alex Ceferin:
“We are all united against this nonsense of a project … The players that will play in the closed league will be banned from playing in the World Cup and Euros.”